THREE SESSIONS — NINE SPEAKERS
Join Us in Washington, DC on March 15th for Facades+ DC!
The program includes three sessions covering issues unique to the region, including innovative building skins, high performance facades, and the future face of DC. These well-rounded, expert dialogues will inform and inspire.
The Facades+ conference series is a robust dialogue encompassing all things building skin—bridging the profession, industry, academia, operations, and ownership. We’ve distilled the best of the Facades+ 2-day event into a quick-take morning forum with a strong local flair. Facades+AM is returning to DC this March.
- AIA Members
- Architecture Students and Faculty
- Building Envelope Specialists
- Construction Professionals
- Materials Specialists
John Jackson | Simpson, Gumpertz, & Heger
- Transparency: Innovative Glazing Systems in our Nation’s Capital
- Opacity: Beyond the Bricks and Mortar
- Connectivity: Where Transparency and Opacity Meet
Speaker Line-Up To Be Announced
Extra Credit Lunch and Learn After Facades+AM
The rapidly developing technology of high-performance facades has emerged as the key to building integration, and central to the realization of resilient buildings and a sustainable built environment. The building skin combines attributes of appearance and performance like nothing else in architecture. There is much to discuss. We invite you to join the conversation as we bring this forum back to Washington DC in 2018.
REGISTRATION AND BREAKFAST
- John Jackson
- Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
1. Transparency: Innovative Glazing Systems in our Nation’s Capital
Glass and glazing systems have come a long way in DC, from punched windows and stick-built curtain walls of the past to contemporary unitized all-glass curtain walls and specialty custom glazing systems. This panel will explore the many facets of architectural design, engineering, and construction of modern glazing systems in the Washington, D.C. market.
- Bradford Carpenter
- Jim Bald
- Operations Director
- Laura Croce
- Shalom Baranes Associates
2. Opacity: Beyond the Bricks and Mortar Envelope Performance in Context
What makes a modern exterior wall system unique and stand out amongst the concrete boxes and mass masonry walls of Washington, D.C.’s past? This panel will take a fresh look at opaque façade systems, from barrier walls to rainscreen cavity walls and everything in between, and how these systems are designed for performance in the local climate and help to achieve the overall design aspirations of the building façade.
- Martina Driscoll
- Kevin Gannon
- Director — Program Development
- Colin MacKillop
- Senior Associate
- Quinn Evans Architects
3.Connectivity: Where Transparency and Opacity Meet
The transition between transparent and opaque is a cornerstone of modern facade design and inextricably link one system to the other. This panel will discuss the critical interface between these systems and the careful attention to detail required not only to ensure air, water, vapor, and thermal continuity, but to allow for differential movement, tolerances of the construction trades, and to meet the architectural design intent where cladding meets glazing.
- Chloe Hiyu
- Ryan Waltke
- Senior Project Architect
- Jesse Wadeson
- Quality Executive
- Clark Construction
Join the dialogue!
Event Venue & Hotel
- Forum Location:
10 Thomas Circle NWWashington, DC 20005
10 Thomas Circle NWWashington, DC 20005
- Please do not send oversize packages or crates. This is a tabletop show, not a booth, and there is ltd. storage space at the venue. Please get approval ahead of time for anything oversized or the packages may be refused. Contact Susan Kramer at email@example.com for Shipping Address and Logistics.
- Will I receive confirmation of my registration?
Yes, once we have processed your registration and payment, you will get an email confirmation detailing your registration.
- Do I need to bring my registration confirmation to the conference?
Yes, it’s always a good idea.
- What do I need to bring if I registered as a Student?
Bring a current student ID card with your photo and present it when checking in.
- When do I get my badge and/or event tickets?
Badges will be provided at check-in at the site on the day of the event.